Sometimes the only way to create the experience you want for customers is to build a whole new product. This was true when we realized we had to transform the video experience to reflect an explosion of content, need for personalization and shift to on-demand viewing. The resulting product, X1, dramatically changed video. Now we’re doing the same for Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi is the oxygen of the digital home. I often joke that it would take me about 12 hours to learn that my water had been switched off, but I’d know if I lost Wi-Fi in about 12 seconds. We live in a world where more things are connected than ever; we are all inseparable from our mobile devices, and our homes are rapidly becoming full of smart appliances and gadgets as the Internet-Of-Things adoption accelerates. However, while our homes have got smarter, Wi-Fi has not kept pace.
Your Wi-Fi should be as smart as you are. That’s why we created Xfinity xFi.
Available starting today, xFi reimagines your home Wi-Fi experience and gives you the coverage, control and visibility you need for your digital life. It’s a cloud managed service that combines leading hardware like the xFi Advanced Gateway, and the xFi Wi-Fi Gateway, with applications that span iOS, Android, Web and even to your television via X1 with Voice control. Here is a quick review of the launch features:
- Get online fast. Getting started with xFi is as easy as downloading an app. If you can swipe and tap, you can manage your connected home with xFi; no more confusing onboarding experiences for Internet and Wi-Fi. Once you’re online, xFi makes it easy to do things like recover your password, create profiles for members of your household and add new devices to the network.
- Make it personal. Your home is more than just devices, create profiles for your family members to manage your Wi-Fi at the personal level.
- Decide who – and what – goes online. With xFi, you have visibility-to and control-of access to your network at the person or device level. You can pause Wi-Fi for dinner, set bedtime limits for kids, and keep tabs on when and how your network is being used. In testing, we realized that pausing the Internet was a great way to find our kids (just follow the indignant shouts).
- Protect your kids. xFi comes packaged with easy-to-use, parental controls. That way, you can have peace of mind that children can use the Internet to learn and have fun, without the risk of stumbling into inappropriate content.
- Keep everything running smooth. If one of your connected devices isn’t working the way it’s supposed to, xFi can help you figure out what’s going wrong, and quickly get everything working again. For example, today if a video app on your streaming device isn’t playing properly, you don’t know if it’s the device, the app, your TV, your internet service … or something else. With xFi, you can troubleshoot by device, pinpoint the cause of the problem and quickly get back to streaming.
- Keep your network safe and secure. More connected devices in our homes means more technology that we need to keep safe and secure. xFi can protect your connected devices from phishing and malware and lets you keep easier tabs on devices that may not have screens, or be readily accessible. Combined with the available firewalls in the xFi Gateways, this provides the first perimeter of protection and piece of mind for your home.
- Manage from anywhere. xFi is a cloud-based service, giving you control over your home Wi-Fi from anywhere from the simple-to-use Web and Mobile Apps. If an unknown device joins your network, a notification will alert you and allow you to take action such as instantly pausing the device’s network access.
This is just the start. xFi is more than a product, it is a platform for innovation in Wi-Fi. Just as we do with X1, we will continue to release innovative customer-centric features as we move forward. A major update is already planned for later in the year, when we will release our zero-configuration xFi Wi-Fi Pods. With the Pods customers will be able to create seamless Wi-Fi for any size or shape home simply by plugging them in an available power-outlet. xFi will automatically, and continuously, configure the customer’s Wi-Fi (mesh) to match their use and home.
Most importantly, we’ve designed xFi to be as simple, easy and human-centric as possible. No engineering degree required! You shouldn’t have to be the Chief Information Officer of your house, to have amazing Wi-Fi in your home.
With Xfinity xFi, the future of Wi-Fi starts today.